Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Mayapur Birthday Party

A Mayapur Birthday Party

I received a special invitation to a birthday party. The mind (remember adyatmika klesa) rejects such invitations, so much prasad – I prefer to eat simply, I could go home, have time to myself…

However I am in charge of this body and I feel this invitation to break away from routine has been sent by Krishna, so I choose to happily, eagerly, joyfully attend the birthday party. After all, this is special it is Bhakta Vatsalya’s party, not an ordinary party as he is celebrating entering gurukula.

I arrived on time at Radha Madhava’s sewing room where it was to take place. All I see is 2 long rows of men sitting against the walls, chanting Hare Krishna. I like Hare Krishna kirtan and it was really nice to just chant Hare Krishna, just simple Hare Krishna maha manthra. I took a seat and joined in. Gradually more matajis, and the mother arrived, along with the birthday boy and eventually the guests of honor, H.G. Pankajanghri prabhu and H.G. Jananivas prabhu. They normally don’t attend birthday bashes but this is special, all the sewing room workers were attending, it was also a post Janmastami, Radhastami feast.

First we play then we eat. Jananivas prabhu, Pankajanghri prabhu and Bhakta Vatsalya took turns successfully breaking balloons filled with candy, the workers dove to the ground to catch as many as they could as though they were children themselves. Pankajanghri prabhu took a while before breaking his balloon, he made everyone laugh hitting his stick here and there trying to find it in his blind-folded state; at times it looked like he was trying to find bystanders. Of course the self imposed dance, twirling around for disorientation, must not have helped him. The little boy also broke a balloon. There was a lot of laughter, and then prasad, as much or as little as anyone wanted.

After most of us were finished eating, H.G. Jananivas prabhu and Pankajanghri prabhu gave short talks, to me this was the real feast.

Jananivas prabhu took the opportunity to thank Radha Madhava’s sewing team for their selfless efforts and dedication as they stayed up late, night after night, for several days finishing Radhastami dresses. The workers’ devotion reminded him of his readings from Srila Visvanath Cakravarti Thakur. He said that when one attains Krishna prema, Krishna Himself comes to thank the devotees for selfless acts of love for Him, such as staying up late or taking up austerities such as fasting on ekadasi or any endeavors for the Lord undertook during their life. At that time Krishna approaches us in the mood of our eternal svarupa while we are still in the material body. When he said that, I could imagine Krishna embracing or holding hands with each of these workers, with love, thanking them for their endeavors. I was regretting not having been there with them sewing through the night, as I search my memory for times when I may have been blessed with such special opportunity to serve selflessly.

“Radha please always keep me engaged in your loving service, for eternity.”

The following is some of the conversation one can expect at such a time from Visvanath Chakravarti Thakur’s Madhurya Kadambini . The Lord says:

“O My best devotee, many births you have given up wife, house, and wealth to attain Me. For the sake of my service you endured untold miseries such as cold, wind, hunger,
thirst, and pain. Maintaining your life by begging, you tolerated countless insults
and abuses from other men. In return for all your sacrifices, I am unable to give you anything. I have simply become your debtor.


Rulership over the whole earth, lordship over the heavens, and mystic powers
are unsuitable for you. How can I give them to you? No, no. Grass and straw,
the delight of cows, I cannot give to a man. Though I’m unconquerable, today
I’ve certainly been conquered by you. Now I’m taking shelter of the creeper of
your excellent character and gentle conduct.”

And the devotee responds:

“… O great master, You make me shamed by saying from your lotus mouth that you
have become my debtor. Now what do I do?.... Just one day before I was rudely
comparing Your dark limbs to the fresh monsoon cloud, the blue lotus and the sapphire. Your beautiful face to the moon, and the tenderness of your feet to newly spouted
leaves. Now seeing your real beauty I realize that by my poor intelligence I was
clearly offending You. I was trying to compare half a useless mustard seed to the
golden mount Meru, a chick pea to a touchstone, a jackal to a lion, or a mosquito to
Garuda. Thinking then ‘I am praising the Lord’ …
(Madhurya Kadambini – Srila Visvanath Cakravarti Thakur, Eight Nectar Shower)

Imagine the despair of the devotee when Krishna, after revealing Himself and at times the entire Vrndavan Dham, He then leaves again. The devotee in prema bhakti finds His separation unbearable. Any more love for Krishna would be intolerable to the embodied soul. The devotee in such a state does not care for any socially acceptable behavior, his only concern being to be reunited with His Lord.

Back to the birthday party, Pankajanghri prabhu spoke next. He told everyone how for many years Bhakta Vatsalya’s parents had been hoping for a son. They got 2 daughters, 2 beautiful and qualified goddesses. Eventually Kesavi, Bhakta Vatsalya’s mata, prayed to Sri Nrsingha deva. For around 6 months she was performing severe austerities, one vrata after the other. She promised Nrsingha deva to give Him her son as a personal servant following the advice of the pujaris.
She recalls asking me for my blessing to have a son. I told her that her son was already chosen by Krishna not to worry, she should first get her health back before growing this special soul in her womb. The astrologers also recommended she wait for a better time, another 6 months. She then got the blessings of the pujaris before performing garbhodhana samskara.

Pankajanghri prabhu also talked about how this little 9 year old boy was to be trained to be the next Nrsingha deva pujari, he joked “just in time for my retirement”. It is obvious to everyone; this little boy is not ordinary, he is an eternal servant of Bhakta Vatsalya Nrsingha Bhagavan.

It was the best birthday party ever. I sat next to Bhakta Vatsalya who is a most respectful sweet boy. He told me he is eager to learn how to cook at the gurukula. Krishna takes such good care of me always sending me to the right place to find some nectar.

More next time.

Happily and slowly taking one step at a time towards Radha and Krishna's Love.

your ever servant of the servants

No comments: