Sunday, September 5, 2010

Srila Prabhupada's Vyas Puja


September 3rd,
Srila Prabhupada Vyasa Puja

What a beautiful day. I love my life. This is what I found myself saying on the way home after the Vyasa Puja Celebrations.

On my way to the temple I met several pilgrims, simply because I greeted them with "Haribol", with raised arms, I received both obeisances and embraces. Even one old widow asked me if her tilak was ok. I like knowing a little Bengali and want to improve my understanding and general communication skills. They are also devotees, many know it, others are here to find out, but we have to reach out to them, welcome them, share our knowledge and realizations to the best of our ability. They come for darshan and association, most leave having taken darshan, some could have more association.


I stayed up in the admin room for most of the celebrations. I was expecting Hari Sauri prabhu to call out my name for reading my offering but he didn’t. When came time for abhiseka, I saw Sitala bathing Prabhupada and though maybe I should go down and see if I could also. I saw a literal ocean of devotees sitting tightly in front of Srila Prabhupada’s Asana all the way to the end of the Pancatatva temple room on all sides. Srila Prabhupada was perched atop a lotus flower, The lotus was in the center of a pond about 4 feet above the ground with bridges leading up to him. Around the pond were flowers and plants on a platform made to look like a cow dung floor, there were 3 sets of precarious steps leading up to Srila Prabhupada’s cow dung look-alike landing. It was on that platform, the outer circle around Srila Prabhupada that the abhiseka of little Prabhupada was going on.

How to cross over the ocean of devotees absorbed in the nectarean abhiseka? I observed from the corner, perched on the steps leading up to the Pancatatva extension, and felt content, as second generation seniors were starting to bathe Srila Prabhupada. Suddenly I see Hari Sauri prabhu cutting a path towards me, parting the sea so that I could come and bathe Srila Prabhupada. I felt so welcome, so appreciated, it was such a warm feeling, even thinking about it makes my heart weep. He also parted all the brahmacharis and others who were waiting in line for their turn and put me in front of all. As I look at the uneven steps, with no railings, I wonder: "You can do it; be a “soldier”", this is what my son Abhai would say to me if he were here, all the while extending a hand to help me. Then a devotee I never saw before asked if I needed help and gave me his hand to stabilize my going up the steps. This is all I needed just a little stabilizing; it was so kind of this stranger devotee to offer.

Krishna takes such good care of me, at every little step. One step toward Him and He arranges everything in such a perfect way. I am most fortunate. I do love my life.


I went back upstairs to the admin, and did a bit more chatting. During pushpanjali, since lowers were limited and so many devotees were there, I stayed upstairs, watched Srila Prabhupada getting dressed by Jananivas prabhu (our cameras are very well located and Ekatma prabhu knows how to find the special angles, that others cannot see). I offered pushpanjali as well, in my mind and on the net. I offered handfuls of bakula flowers, so small, fragile and gentle yet so fragrant. It was the very best I could find.


Time to feast. Yes I will try to feast. My stomach has been bothering me for a couple of days but today I feel better, I will eat Srila Prabhupada’s feast. Off to the Gada building.

Special door for Srila Prabhupada disciples! I tip-toed so very carefully on the wet marble, making my way to the front of the line where I was meant to sit. As I was about to sit on the ground in a row, I get called to go further up front, next to H.H. Jayapataka Maharaj, at a table. H.G. Vidvan Gauranga prabhu and Rama devi were heading up this courteous gesture, it made eating much more enjoyable, exchanging light conversation with Rama devi and enjoying a beautiful Bengali feast, rice, dahl, paneer subji, chutney, sweet rice…. There was sukta and many other things but not wanting to overdo after almost 3 days of fasting, I kept it sort of simple, simply enjoyable.

I returned for the evening program, I wanted to read my offering but needed just that little bit of encouragement, like someone calling my name; Hari Sauri prabhu did. I spoke after Pankajanghri prabhu. Hari Sauri prabhu gave me such an introduction, it was almost embarrassing. He made me sound like a ISKCON heroin, joining at 16, preaching in school, running away from home, starting what is now the International School, spending more time in Mayapur, while in Canada, then he did himself and currently working for Mayapur TV full time, etc …. I prayed to be able to read my offering with some humility and that it would inspire others to love and serve Srila Prabhupada by sharing with them my offering.

nama om vishnu-padaya krishna-preshthaya bhu-tale
srimate bhaktivedanta-svamin iti namine
namas te saraswate deve gaura-vani-pracarine
nirvishesha-shunyavadi-pashchatya-desha-tarine

"All glories to you Srila Prabhupada"

These are the only words I ever spoke to you, in person. Again and again I offer my obeisances to you with all humility at my command and occasional tears in my eyes.

"All glories to you Srila Prabhupada."

On this vyasa puja day I want to make an attempt at thanking you and once again offer you my life. I want to thank you for the association you gave me. For the preachers, the GBC's, the sannyasis, the scholars, the temple presidents, the book distributors, the pujaris... all the devotees who keep on going, sometimes making mistakes, but nevertheless ready to correct themselves and keep on serving you, just like a child learning to walk keeps on trying until success.

From the beginning of my spiritual life, you taught me to accept them as your representatives. The first time I tried writing you a letter - a letter that was to remain an eternal draft as it never seemed good enough to send - I received guidance from your representatives, and I still hear through my seniors.

Thank you for your greatness, you purity, your strength, and for letting it shine through your sincere followers. I gave you my life with all my heart in 1972. Once again and with a life's time experience instead of childhood behind me, I want to offer you my life, please mold it according to your will, let your wisdom and love shine through me so that I can help with your mission.

I plead with our Lord to give me the qualifications I lack to be of use to you and your movement. I seek your blessings to be able to sincerely attempt to repay an inexhaustible debt to you and all the previous acharyas.

More next time.
Happily and slowly taking one step at a time towards Radha and Krishna's Love


your ever servant of the servants

No comments: