Thursday, November 25, 2010

POST KARTIK BLUES

Kartik has ended. Where will I find special Maha Harinam?

I have to say I felt a vacuum. I went to evening artik the following day hoping against hope there would be maha harinam and prayed to Pancatatva. I was hankering for a Srivas Thakur’s house for us devotees, a place where we could chant the holy names with no concern for time restrictions, just abandoning ourselves in endless chanting, chanting, chanting... I prayed to be again in association with devotees for extended singing of the holy name, begging for more opportunity to cry out for the Lord’s service.
How can I love you? How can I serve you?

“… Helpful practice for those who aspire to become more absorbed in chanting, and thus more attached to it, is to chant congregationally with mrdangas and kartals. Congregational chanting quickly binds the mind to the holy name, and when the mind is bound to the name, the Lord becomes responsively bound to the devotee’s heart. Chanting with other devotees allows us to experience a special type of joy – a joy that encourages us in our path.” - Nama Rahasya – Sacidanandana Swami

The following day I found my prayers answered, I was invited to take part in a special Harinam down the Ganga, I almost disregarded the invitation thinking I had service that might be more urgent. Going on a boat, climbing in and out, I don’t find that easy. The mind was creating reasons why I would be better to stick to my desk. Remembering my pleading of the previous evening, I chose to see it as Sri Srivas’s answer to my request.

We gathered at Srila Prabhupad’s Gath, and found a seat on a large boat. We chanted peacefully to ourselves while waiting for Gaur Nitai and his chanting party to join us in the boat. It had already been loaded with 8 large, very large, vats of prasadam kitri and stacks of leaf plates.

Speakers, microphones, harmoniums, mrdangas, kartals and many devotees, all in the boat with Gour Nitai in the center. The chanting started, as the boat slowly traveled the Ganga past Navadwip Gath towards the bridge.

As we arrived the sun was setting in the horizon, warming our hearts with its evening glory.

I had to be courageous; normally I am very afraid of heights and not very steady on my feet. As I looked at the plank, narrow plank steeply leading down to the shore, I almost gave up, I almost went to sit down and giveup on the Harinam that was soon to take place. I have to thank the assembled devotees for their help. Gita Nagari prabhu said: “If I can go down, you can go down” as he proceeded very carefully down the plank. It looked even more difficult after seeing him but with devotees willing to help from both sides, and Krishna in my heart guiding me it was very doable. Just as life is precarious, however with the help of Krishna and others, anything can be accomplished. It was almost enjoyable to tip toe down the narrow plank, barely holding on to the hands of steady helpers. I soon was on shore, solid ground.

The chanting was ecstatic. Some of the devotees unrolled long mats, creating rows for locals to sit. Many children, but also mothers and fathers took their seat, as devotees walked  back and forth pouring nutritious prasadam kitri on the leaf plates. We just chanted and danced, chanted and danced, as they ate to their heart’s content. When finished they would get up and others took their place. Eventually many joined us in chanting and dancing, mostly children as they have less inhibitions. The adults were doing the same in their heart as they appeared to be staring at us smiling. They were purposely avoiding too intimate eye contact as their natural shyness would have given way to their heart already softened by the Holy Names. We would have seen them join in the kirtan with abandon of their self imposed control. May be next time.

Two hours of chanting while distributing prasadam, what an ecstatic program. What a taste I got this day. Srivas Thakur had answered my prayer. Where will I find ecstatic kirtan next? Where will He send me next? Today, I write, tomorrow is another day.

More next time, as I slowly and happily take one step at a time towards Radha and Krishna's Love.

your ever servant of the servants

5 comments:

Manoj Chhabria said...

Hare Krishna Mataji, can u plzzz tell me the Prabhuji's name in the pic... i would be greatful to him if you can send me the video of the Kirtan

Yasomati said...

Hare Krishna Manoj prabhu,

The kirtan leader is Nitai Priya prabhu.

Sorry, there is no video of this kirtan. I can arrange for a video to be taken of a future kirtan with Nitai Priya while on harinam if that is suitable. He goes on harinam 6 days a week.

ys Yasomati dd

Manoj said...

Hare Krishna Mataji, sorry i meant to say i would be grateful to you if u can arrange for the video. Please do send... awaiting for your reply

Unknown said...

haribol mataji!! i m Shivani here n i live in Bombay....i happnd to read ur blog n i loved it... i jst wanted to ask u from where can i get pictures of the mayapur temple , the goshala , and the videos etc....hare krishna!! awaiting your reply...

Yasomati said...

Hare Krishna Shivani mata,

There are several pictures and videos available from both Mayapur.com and MayapurTVArchives.com

Hope you find what you are looking for.

ys Yasomati dd